Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Guest blogger series No.1 post: LJP and Classic

While we’re waiting for the issue known as “1.3.1 issue” fix to be released, we thought to bring in the special series of blog posts, written by our users. Stunned by the passion for games Mr. LJZaur wrote about in the Classic forum at Precentral.net, we asked him to publish his post as the first “guest blogger post” in the series.

So, no more talk, here’s the original write-up. Let the games begin.

(Thanks John!)


Anxious and want to just play? Skip the next paragraph.

If you couldn't tell from my name, I LOVE LJP. I was actually at the original forum it started at, and had its first iteration, LJZ. Anyways, I'm not going to bother you about the history of why I love it so much, since if you're anything like me, you're Craving for some good ol' nostalgia. Here's what I did: I figured that since there were so many iterations of LJZ, and many of the newer ones just added more systems and functionality, that I could do without those and just return to one of the older ones. I also thought there might also be something with the newer ones that's messing it up for Classic. So that's just what I did. At first, I couldn't decide between the .9 release, or the RC 1.0 release. I went with RC 1.0 (mainly since it had the psi installer).

SO! Install RC 1.0 (I haven't checked what the latest release the maps to buttons is-too busy playing Final Fantasy :P), and play away! The system controls map only to the buttons on screen, and (I think) only when that keyboard has the letters on it. In other words, buttons only map to T,B,D,K (up, down, left, right), the space bar, P,Q, return, and the orange button. I've found that the games play well, but can lag a lot when sound is either on or simulated. I should also note that, at least for me, SNES games still require too much memory to even work, even with UDMH (a program that expands the amount of memory given to an application, such as LJP).

There are still minor issues (lack of full keyboard mapping, lack of memory-although I think that's caused by a lack of memory going to Classic in general, lag when sound is on, having to press down for about a second on the screen before the game recognizes it), but none of those keep it from being playable.

Enjoy!

As for how to actually get the app, download it from here: Little John PalmOS

If you just install the PSI Installer for LJP 1.0 RC2, then it will install itself onto the system and create the necessary folders, but this is where you would find them (if you're Pre's connected as a USB): Pre's name=>Classic=>then there should be two folders (I think), one labeled Install (which is where you put applications you want on the "device" part of the Classic app, but then, and I'm not sure whether you need to manually add it in or not, there should be another folder called Palm, and that should act just like it did in the older Palm devices; there should be a DCIM, Launcher, and Programs folder under it. The Programs folder is where you would go to find all the LJP stuff.

So, in short: Classic=>Palm=>Programs=>LJP=> whichever system you want.

John (LJZaur)

Drop us a line in the forums or post on our Facebook page if you’d like to take part in the series, we’d love to here your say about how you use Classic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this app on my Zire72 and it is the sole reason why I am going to buy Classic! I don't know what the “1.3.1 issue” is but I'm assuming it's been fixed now that 1.3.5 is out, I'm just waiting for Bell to release the update in Canada.