HotSync is by far most requested feature that is missing in Classic. Not only that many of Classic users are asking us to implement HotSync, but almost every reviewer, blogger or journalist that is writing about Classic believes that HotSync is one of the key pieces of a complete Palm OS emulator.
So, we took this seriously and added HotSync support to Classic Palm OS emulator for Palm webOS devices. We have HotSync working on our development devices and it is successfully syncing with standard Palm Desktop software that is shipping with Centro and other Palm OS devices.
Some of the most useful features that HotSync will bring to Classic users include:
· Ability to synchronize contacts, calendar, notes, tasks and other PIM data between the Pre and desktop computer (including standard support for syncing contacts and calendar with Microsoft Outlook)
· Ability for existing Palm OS to easily migrate their data and applications from Palm OS phones to Pre
· Ability to use custom conduits and desktop applications that are syncing their data between desktop and phone through HotSync
· Easy installation of new Palm OS apps on the Palm Pre
· Easy and fast way for backing up data and applications on desktop computer
New version of Classic will be able to perform HotSync operations over Bluetooth or WiFi connections.
We are still testing the HotSync support in Classic, but as far as we can tell everything works without any limitations – including the numerous 3rd party conduits that we are using for testing to ensure 100% compatibility with Palm OS apps.
We still do not have the exact ETA for HotSync availability, but it will be included in one of the upcoming Classic updates as a free upgrade for all existing Classic users.
So, until HotSync for Classic is released, do stay tuned to our blog at motionapps.blogspot.com since HotSync is not the only thing we are cooking up for the upcoming releases of Classic.